Walk In Shower Benefits & 10 Design Ideas
Walk-in showers are not only appealing to the eye, but they are also exceedingly functional within a bathroom space. As a result, many homeowners opt for a walk-in shower as opposed to the traditional bathtub/shower combination. However, once you decide on going with a walk-in shower, you then must choose what design you would like your bathroom shower to have. Each walk-in shower must be designed to fit the unique space in which it will be, and each element of the shower can be customized to fit your exact style and aesthetic perfectly. To help inspire you when selecting your walk-in shower design, we have put together a collection of 10 beautiful walk-in shower design ideas to show you a few of the possibilities available when you are remodeling your bathroom.
Benefits of a Walk-In Shower
Walk-in showers offer a number of benefits for homeowners, which makes them an appealing choice when undergoing a bathroom remodel. Below are a few of the top benefits that a walk-in shower offers:
- Durability Over Time: Walk in showers are built to last and can withstand the everyday wear and tear they will undergo. Traditional bathtubs or showers often have a greater number of parts within them, which means there is an increased likelihood for experiencing broken parts that will need repairs. Luckily, this is significantly less likely to occur in a walk-in shower.
- Easy to Clean: When using a walk-in shower, you will have the added benefit of it being easier to clean than its counterparts. A bathtub/shower combination will have significantly more crevices, corners, and cracks in which germs and dirt can hide, making it more difficult to keep clean over time. Walk-in showers reduce these hard-to-clean areas, which makes it easier for you to keep your space looking clean and beautiful.
- ADA Accessibility: While a traditional bathtub/shower is extremely difficult for people with mobility issues, a walk-in shower is much easier and more accessible. With the structure of a walk-in shower, it will be possible to comfortably access the shower using a wheelchair, which can reduce potential dependency on family members or friends.
- Increased Usable Space: It is no secret that bathtubs take up a substantial amount of space. Walk-in shower designs maximize the space in the bathroom to keep the shower feeling open and comfortable, rather than cramped. In addition, this increased usable space can also improve the overall aesthetic of the bathroom, making it feel more open and inviting.
- Better Drainage: Bathtubs are made with crevices built within the drain to keep water flowing smoothly down the drain, which is a great engineering advantage in theory. However, in practice, this smaller drain space can lead to more easily clogged drains, as well as a slower descent of water. With walk-in showers, this problem is decreased because water will be kept flowing out quickly and efficiently. In addition, because water will be flowed out quickly, the chances of standing water collecting bacteria will also be subsequently decreased.
Top 10 Design Ideas for Walk-In Showers
Below are ten walk-in shower ideas to help inspire you when designing your ideal walk-in shower.
- Bring in Natural Light: Natural light can instantly make the space feel more inviting and open. Bring in natural light to your walk-in shower stall by having a glass shower door to the outside or a skylight.
- Use Different Textures: Different textures will add a differentiation to your space and will distinguish it from an ordinary, run-of-the-mill walk-in shower enclosure. By integrating contrasting textures, you can instantly elevate your space.
- Use A Large Rain Shower Head: Rain shower heads are the epitome of luxury within a shower enclosure. They offer you a soothing, relaxing shower experience that mimics the fall of natural rainwater. Not only is this a spa-like option that offers relaxation, it is also very stylish.
- Shower Seating: Shower seating is an extremely practical addition to your shower to make sure it meets all of your everyday needs, and it is usable in the long-term.
- Built-In Shelving: Built-In shelving ensures you never have bottles lying around littering the floor of your walk-in shower stall. Instead, they are stowed away where they belong and are integrated seamlessly into the shower enclosure.
- Wrap Tile from Shower to Bathroom: This design offers a continuity from the shower to the bathroom, making it a cohesive unit that flows together. Consider this shower trend when choosing tile for your new bathroom.
- Use Dual Shower Heads: Dual shower heads allow for more than one person to comfortably shower within a space, making it functional and stylish.
- Integrate Wood Tiling: Wood texture tiling is the perfect combination of modern, rustic, and industrial in one natural looking shower tile. You are able to incorporate the classic wood look without the worry that it will warp from dampness. This is a great twist to add to the style of your walk-in shower.
- Curbless Entry: Implementing a curbless entry into your walk-in shower is timeless, practical, and accessible. Not only does a curbless entry make your shower easier to clean, it is also the perfect aging-in-place element to add. It allows easy entry and exit into the shower as there is no curb to step over.
- Have a Doorless Walk-In Shower: While it may seem counterintuitive, in keeping with open concept spaces many walk-in showers have now been adapted to be doorless so that the shower space flows into the bathroom space. These doorless shower designs are the perfect modern design element to add to your new bathroom giving your space a contemporary feel.
Whether you’re remodeling a large master bath and want a trendy, modern design, or working with limited square feet, walk-in showers have many great benefits that are perfect for your new bathroom. Learn more about your bathroom design options – call us (858-413-2305) or stop by the showroom!