7 Beautiful Modern Colonial Kitchen Ideas
Designing your dream kitchen can seem like an intimidating process that requires a multitude of important decisions, but instead of viewing the interior design process as a hurdle, it is vital that it be considered a creative outlet to tailor a space to your needs. If you love colonial kitchen design, then viewing many different colonial kitchen ideas will help you begin to decide what you would like your space to look like and what finishes meet your needs. Some may be asking themselves, what is a colonial kitchen?
A colonial kitchen often draws its style from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, which is how it earned its moniker. This distinctive style often includes elements such as exposed brick walls, white cabinetry, muted paint tones, and natural wood flooring. This is considered a classic design style and its popularity has endured through the years. To help you design your dream kitchen or do a kitchen remodel, we have put together seven mid-century modern colonial kitchen ideas.
- Farmhouse Sink: A farmhouse sink can be a wonderful addition to a colonial kitchen that gives it an air of both simplicity and functionality. A farmhouse sink can tie together a modern colonial kitchen and make the space feel both clean and classic. It can not only hold all of your dishes when being used, but it also is a design element that enhances a modern colonial kitchen.
- Updated Hardware: If you are looking for a classic colonial style kitchen with a modern twist, one of the simplest ways to tailor your space is to pick an updated hardware style. For a modern colonial kitchen, it can be beautiful to pair white cabinetry with a sleek metal bar pull style hardware in gold, rose gold, silver, or copper. By incorporating a touch of metal into the space, it balances between the classic colonial design and the sleek accents of modern styling.
- Marble or Quartz Countertops: Countertops will be one of the largest design decisions you make in your kitchen. In a modern colonial kitchen, it is important to incorporate materials that are natural, functional, and beautiful. Marble and quartz are both great choices for a modern colonial kitchen, but each come with their own pros and cons. Marble countertops are often more expensive and require routine maintenance, but are high quality, classic, and beautiful. On the other hand, quartz countertops are often more affordable and durable, but may not have the same natural look as marble.
- Built-In Refrigerator: A built-in refrigerator can be a great way to incorporate modern colonial style into your kitchen. Built-in refrigerators are seamless within the kitchen space and allow visitors to naturally focus on more significant design elements within the space, such as countertops or cabinetry.
- Open Shelving: In a traditional colonial kitchen, open shelving was often utilized to store goods. In many modern kitchens, floating shelves have made a resurgence in their popularity and can often be a distinct design element to incorporate into a space. To create your dream modern colonial kitchen, incorporate some open, floating shelving within the space to highlight dishware, glass drinkware, and décor.
- Large Range Hood: A range hood is a design element that you can customize to fit your tastes. To fit with a modern colonial kitchen style, there are a number of different approaches to incorporate a range hood. You can clad the range hood in a similar material to that of the kitchen cabinets to have it blend within the space, or can incorporate a stainless-steel range hood to add a modern twist. In some modern colonial kitchens, having a rough sawn wood cladded range hood can add a natural and beautiful design element to the space.
- Glass Upper Cabinets: If you are looking for colonial kitchen design ideas, incorporating upper cabinetry that has fogged or clear inset glass offers a modern colonial kitchen a dose of elegance. Depending upon the type of glass selected, this can also offer individuals to display their dishware or glassware while still having it within the protection of a cabinet. Glass upper cabinetry works extremely well in conjunction with open shelving to achieve a modern colonial kitchen design aesthetic.
There are many different ways you can incorporate colonial design elements with a modern flare into your kitchen. Use the above ideas as inspiration for your brand new kitchen space!